Are you stressed and overwhelmed by the demands of caring for an aging parent? If you need assistance with everyday tasks, for yourself or for your aging parent, we can help you get things done, preserve your family’s quality of life and peace of mind, and maintain your parent’s safety, dignity, and independence
What is Aging-In-Place?
The term “aging-in-place” has entered our mainstream language about aging. Any aging-in-place strategy is unique to the individual needs of each person. As we age, familiar surroundings, friends, family and neighbors help provide a sense of purpose, familiarity, comfort and safety. To live out those later years within the family home, as generations did before, remains the ideal. While medical and scientific discoveries may increase our longevity, they cannot assure us, or our loved ones, of lifelong mobility, independence, or even a good memory! When faced with a social or environmental change, most of us feel unsettled, at least for a time. We adjust. But for an elder, even the smallest change can imply a declining quality of life, a fear of the unknown, and a sense of having lost control. One reaction, for some elders, is to isolate. Isolation promotes depression and increases morbidity.
Why Positive Living Solutions
When you make that call, the first thing you will notice about Positive Living Solutions’ founder, Úna Barrett, is her calmness, clarity and compassionate listening. While gathering current needs and contact information, Úna will help navigate you through the confusing language of crises intervention and today’s health care. If you live far away or out-of-state Úna Barrett will simply “become you” until you can get there. Úna is a communicator. She will explain how she works, will arrange to meet with your elder, gather hospital or emergency staff information and report back to you. Once connected you can be assured that Úna’s number one priority is your peace-of-mind while seeing to the welfare and safety of your loved one
Why Care Management?
Today, many adult children, in or out-of-state, are working and may be raising a family. They are sometimes unable to care for a parent or loved one on a consistent basis. Úna Barrett and Positive Living Solutions can provide interim or ongoing care management services for your parent as follows:
- Transport to medical appointments
- Advocacy and note taking during the appointment
- Wellness checks
- Keeping in touch with family members via weekly updates
- Immediate contact with family in event of a crisis
- Along with medical providers, evaluate and notify family of next level of care/living options, if needed.
Home Assessment and Modifications
Back in our parent’s time very few homes, especially in New England, were designed with aging in mind. For an elder to remain safely at home, Positive Living Solution also provides services as follows:
- A full home living assessment, identifying barriers to safety in normal aging
- We work closely with families and licensed contractors to ensure that all modifications are done correctly and attractively
- We oversee the modification progress and make sure contractors fulfill the terms of their contract
- When the work is completed we will stop by and observe the elder’s ability to utilize and navigate their newly modified environment
Our Transition Services
- When an elder’s quality of life is compromised due to declining health or memory
loss, we will meet with you, evaluate the changes, and help identify appropriate action
- These changing needs may call for home care and/or a move to assisted living or long term care facility
- If relocating your elder for residential care becomes necessary, we are familiar with today’s numerous living options and can help this process, including touring properties with you and advising you about all the options